A method for determination of steviol glucosides in stevia using high performance liquid chromatography was developed and validated. The compounds were extracted from the matrices with methanol for 60 minutes, cleaned by Oasis HLB column and then determined by HPLC using C18 column (250 mm x 4.6 mm x 5 µm) and PDA detector. The calibration curves were linear in range of 1 to 100 μg/mL; the RSD was of 1.39 2.85%; and the recovery was of 93 105%. The method was applied to analyze 09 stevia samples collected from markets in Hanoi (including dry stevia rebaudiana, stevia powder). The results showed that composition of steviol glycosides differs from sample to sample. Besides, stevioside and rebaudioside A are the most abundant steviol glycosides in the samples.
HPLC, steviol glycosides, stevia
1. Tôn Nữ Liên Hương, Võ Hoàng Duy, Dương Mộng Hòa, Đỗ Duy Phúc và Nguyễn Duy Thanh, (2015), “Chiết xuất Stevioside từ cây cỏ ngọt”, Tạp chí Khoa học, Trường Đại học Cần Thơ, Phần A: Khoa học Tự nhiên, Công nghệ và Môi trường: 36 (2015), 73 76
2. Nguyễn Kim Cẩn, Lê Nguyệt Nga (2001), “Định lượng steviosid trong lá cỏ ngọt”, Công trình Nghiên cứu Khoa học 19872000, Viện Dược liệu, Nhà Xuất bản Khoa học và Kỹ thuật: 125 128.
3. Annie Shirwaikar, Vinit Parmar, Jay Bhagat and Saleemulla Khan ( 2011), “Identification and estimation of stevioside in the commercial samples of stevia leaf and powder by HPTLC and HPLC”, International Journal of Pharmacy & Life Science (IJPLS), 2, 9, 1050 1058.
4. Prepared at the 73rd JECFA (2010) and published in FAO JECFA Monographs, Steviol glycoside, INS no. 960.
5. MolinaCalle, M., Sánchez de Medina, V., Delgado de la Torre, M. P., Priego Capote, F., & Luque de Castro, M. D. (2016), “Development and application of a quantitative method based on LC QqQ MS/MS for determination of steviol glycosides in Stevia leaves”, Talanta, 154 (C), 263 269.
6. Václav Pavlícˇek, Petr Tuma, (2017), “The use of capillary electrophoresis with contactless conductivity detection for sensitive determination of stevioside and rebaudioside A in foods and beverages”, Food Chemistry, 219, 193 198.
7. Venkata Sai Prakash Chaturvedula, Julian Zamora, (2014), “ReversedPhase HPLC analysis of steviol glycoside isolated from stevia rebaudiana bertoni”, Food and Nutrition Sciences, 5, 18 (9), 1703 1719.