National Institute for Food Control (NIFC), the national food safety reference laboratory under Ministry of Health of Vietnam, was established under the Decision No. 376/QD-TTg dated March 23, 2009 by the Prime Minister.
1. Missions and Tasks
- Testing, assessing food safety and quality.
- Performing risk assessment of food safety and food borne diseases.
- Offering professional guidelines and evaluating the capacity of testing laboratories for quality and food safety nationwide.
- Playing as a national referee in the field of food safety and quality control.
- Deploying scientific research, organizing specialized staff trainings, and participating in all service activities related to food safety and quality.
Laboratories of the Institute comply with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025:2017 demonstrated in the following contents:
- Testing the quality of food hygiene and safety to: food, functional food, genetically modified food, raw material, food additives, processing aids of food, food ingredients in domestically produced food and imported food;
- Testing packaging materials in direct contact with food;
- Testing water and environment;
- Testing, evaluating and certifying the safety of chemical and biological substances used in the food chain;
- Testing to identify causes of food poisoning and food-borne diseases;
- Risk assessment on food safety;
- Evaluating functions of functional foods, health supplements and probiotics products;
- Evaluate the stability of some food products;
- Testing the complex parameters which may go beyond the capacities of localities;
- Testing animal feeds and biological products;
- Testing fertilizers;
- Testing textiles, protective clothing, masks and medical supplies;
- Testing disinfectant, bactericidal and disinfection water quality;
- Testing toxicity of pesticides and insecticide products;
- Conducting a verification test to give the final result as a basis for settling disputes and complaints about food testing at the request of competent agencies;
- Performing in arbitration tasks in quality control, food safety and international trade in Vietnam.
2.2. Calibration of Equipment
Calibration activities of the Institute comply with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025:2017 with the following contents:
- Calibration of mass (accurate weighing level I and II).
- Thermal calibration.
- Testing and maintenance of chemical and physical analysis equipment.
2.3. Inspection activities
The Institute conducts inspection in accordance with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17020:2012 with the following contents:
- Undertaking state inspection of imported food in the specific range.
- Undertaking the inspection and certification of quality for imported feed for cattle and poultry.
- Inspecting food, food additives, processing aids of food, textiles materials, protective clothing, masks and animal feed.
2.4. Certification activities
- To certificate the conformity with food and animal feed products’ standards. This activity complies with the requirements of TCVN 17065: 2012.
- To certificate the management system according to ISO 22000: 2018 and HACCP. This activity complies with the requirements of ISO / IEC 17021-1: 2015 and ISO 22003: 2013.
- To expertise and assess the rapid test on spot (test kit).
- To evaluate the safety, quality and efficiency of food products.
- To assess and certificate the quality of animal feed.
2.5. Proficiency Testing
- To organize the proficiency testing programs and interlaboratory testing for food testing laboratories and animal feed.
- To provide the quality standards, standard substances, reference materials, sample tests and quick tests on spots (test kit).
2.6. Scientific research
- Research on establishment and application of the test, the national food safety.
- Participating technical standards for testing the quality of in standards development research of food products, production processes and processing food products to ensure food hygiene and safety.
- Participating in scientific research activities in the field of testing and ensuring food safety.
2.7. Training - Consulting - Technology Transfer
- Organizing training and continuous training on quality control and food hygiene and risk assessment.
- Participating in training technicians, bachelors, masters, doctors in food safety, food testing.
- Consulting and technology transfer, technology/construction quality management system laboratories in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025.
- Organizing conferences, seminars and training nationally and internationally in the scope of activity.
2.8. International Cooperation
- The Institute has always been willing to expand international relations with other countries, individuals, foreign organizations and research institutes such as the WHO, FAO, KOICA, JICA, CIDA, USDA, EU, IAEA, the University of Georgia (USA), Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (South Korea), etc.
- Be the focal point and join the boards: CODEX, PFPWG, AFTLC, etc.
National Institute for Food Control (NIFC)
Address: 65 Pham Than Duat Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Phone: + 84-2439335741 Fax: +84-2439335738 Hotline: 19001065
Website: www.nifc.gov.vn Email: email@example.com