The food contaminants including 3-chloro-1,2-propanediol (3-MCPD) and 3-MCPD fatty acid esters have been a matter of great concern in the past few years due to their toxicity and their occurrence in numerous foods. Recently, significant amounts of the isomeric compounds 2-chloro-1,3-propanediol (2-MCPD) fatty acid esters have been detected in refined oil samples.
Gas Chromatography (GC) coupled with mass spectroscopy (MS) was used for the quantification of fatty acid esters of 2-Chloro-1,3-propandiol (2-MCPD), 3-Chloro-1,2- propandiol (3-MCPD) and glycidol in oil. Internal standards including 3-MCPD-ester-d5 (rac 1,2-bis-palmitoyl-3-chloropropanediol-d5), 2-MCPD-ester-d5 (1,3-Distearoyl-2- chloropropanediol-d5) and Glycidyl sterate-d5 were added to samples. Spiked samples were, then, incubated in NaBr/H2SO4 and H2SO4/MeOH solutions. They were, eventually, extracted with ethyl acetate and n-hexane solvents in order to convert Glycidyl esters to free MCPD and glycidol in samples before using phenylboronic acid derivative. The limit of quantitation was of 0.1 ppm (mg/kg). The recoveries at the concentration of 0.1 mg/kg ranged from 80 to 120% and the repeatability and reproducibility were less than 10%.
2-Chloro-1,3-propandiol (2-MCPD), 3-Chloro-1,2-propandiol (3-MCPD), glycidol, phenylboronic acid, gas chromatography mass spectrometry
1. Tiêu chuẩn quốc gia TCVN 12081-1:2017 (ISO 18363-1:2015) về Dầu mỡ động vật và thực vật.
2. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) 2015: EN-779.
3. Stefanka Bratinova Gerhard Buttinger Lubomir Karasek, “Determination of the MCPD fatty acid esters and glycidyl fatty acid esters in food”, Report on the collaborative trial organised by the EURL-PAH and Process Contaminants, EUR 29109 EN; Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg, 2018, ISBN 978-92-79- 79386-8.
4. Jenny Aasa , Efstathios Vryonidis , Lilianne Abramsson-Zetterberg and Margareta Törnqvist, “Internal Doses of Glycidol in Children and Estimation of Associated Cancer Risk”, Depart ment of Environmental Science and Analytical Chemistry, Stockholm University, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden, 2019.
5. Guidance document on analytical quality control and validation procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed, SANCO/12571/2013 (2014).
6. FEDIOL Q&A on 2- and 3-MCPD and Their Esters and Glycidyl Esters, Brussels, 15 March 2017 16SAF083.
7. AOAC SMPR® 2017.017- Standard Method Performance Requirements (SMPRs®) for Determination of 2- and 3-MCPD, 2- and 3-MCPD Esters, and Glycidyl Esters in Infant and Adult/Pediatric Nutritional Formula.